THIS BLOG HAS MOVED

Please join us at snowcoveredhills.com.

Get the posts on my new blog by e-mail. Enter your e-mail address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

New posts on snowcoveredhills.com:

Thursday, February 22, 2007

Prince Harry

I am not sure what to make of the hubbub about Prince Harry’s military service. You know, once upon a time, it was just expected that the king and princes would lead the soldiers into battle.

I’m trying to imagine how the old stories might be written in 2007:

KING ARTHUR: Have this horse, mine old friend, for great need hast thou of horse. Besides, I won’t be needing it here in the castle. Send me a telegram if you have time. I’d like to know what happens during the battle.

ARAGORN: Hold your ground, hold your ground! Sons of Gondor, of Rohan, my brothers! I see in your eyes the same fear that would take the heart of me. A day may come when the courage of men fails, when we forsake our friends and break all bonds of fellowship, but it is not this day. This day YOU are heading off to battle. Let me know how it goes.

KING AGAMEMNON: Call every man on your way, and bid him be stirring; name him by his lineage and by his father's name, give each all titular observance, and stand not too much upon your own dignity; we must take our full share of toil, for at our birth Jove laid this heavy burden upon us. And when I say “heavy burden”, I mean that just listening to stories about the battle is really a strain. Good thing I don’t have to go out there.

0 comments: