THIS BLOG HAS MOVED

Please join us at snowcoveredhills.com.

Get the posts on my new blog by e-mail. Enter your e-mail address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

New posts on snowcoveredhills.com:

Saturday, February 24, 2007

God hath made me to laugh, so that all that hear will laugh with me

I read every comment that comes in. I love comments. Keep 'em coming.

It was through the comments that I figured something out. You see, I've been comparing Ben with Michael. When I moved out of the house, Ben was about the same age Michael is now. He looked and acted a lot like Michael -- with one important difference.

You see, Ben didn't understand what a joke was.

Oh, he understood the basic construction. You say something. I laugh. But he couldn't figure out what made a joke funny. He would take his cues from people around him: if others were laughing, he would laugh. I remember my dad demonstrating this: "Goldfish...in a jello bowl! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!" Cue much laughter.

I've been told that I have a weird sense of humour (hence the humour-impairment test - please take it). Reading through comments like Nate's, I can see why a small child could be confused. We are a very dry-humoured family. We don't tell jokes. This is probably why I have a significant number of readers who are never sure if I am serious.

Those of you who are concerned for Ben's place in the family will likely be comforted by the knowledge that he now has his own dry sense of humour and can more than hold his own.

5 comments:

Kevin Holsapple said...

Benjamin was once the littlest Holsapple, and now he is the biggest.
In a similar way, Benjamin is now the driest Holsapple.

Mr. Mandal said...

This sounds like one of those things, much like the Yeti, or me singing "itsy bitsy spider", that are often claimed but never substantiated. One can't help but wonder just how much of my alleged "childhood" is a complete fabrication.

Megan said...

That's a very good point. In fact, I barely remember you. I have lots of memories of Nate and Matt, but very few memories of you.

Who are you, anyway?

Anonymous said...

We have a tape of you singing the "itsy bitsy spider". I just listened to it a couple of weeks ago. It is as cute today as it was 18 years ago!

Megan said...

If memory serves, it is actually:

"Da BIG FAT SPIIIIIIDA climb up dat water SPOUT!

"Dad, I -- almost. I too mall. Dad, get another one. Dad, get another one.

"OUT CAME SUN AND DRY UP ALL RAIN AND DEN DA BIG FAT SPIIIIIIIIDA CLIMB UP DAT WATER SPOUT AGAIN!!!!"