THIS BLOG HAS MOVED

Please join us at snowcoveredhills.com.

Get the posts on my new blog by e-mail. Enter your e-mail address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

New posts on snowcoveredhills.com:

Friday, July 20, 2007

Congratulations, Sean and Adrienne



______________________________

A note about this video that is completely unrelated to today's festivities but will be seared into my brain as long as I live:

I first saw this video when I was about sixteen. My best friend throughout high school was a second-generation Brit whose mother and grandparents had moved to Bay Roberts years earlier. She was a huge fan of Rowan Atkinson, and was keen to show me samples of his stand-up comedy.

But there was a catch.

You see, before I was allowed to watch the video, I had to answer a skill-testing question that had stumped her, her mom and her grandmother but that she was fairly certain I would know: "What's fellatio?"

It just so happened that I did know what it was, but I was not keen to broadcast this. Fifteen years later, I still get a long way on I don't know what that is and I think you can get germs from doing that. Come to think of it, I'm not sure what to make of the fact that she had no doubt that I would be able to shed some light on this matter, but I suppose that is a post for another day.

In any case, I explained quickly and without much detail. She silently got up from the couch and walked into the dining room, where her mother and grandmother were playing cards next to the baby grand: "Megan knows what it is."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Megan knows what it is"

I don't know why that made me laugh. Maybe it's because I pictured your friend repeating this with wide eyed wonder.

Excuse me. My kid is trying to wrench himself out of his onesie. Why? I don't know.

Megan said...

Wide-eyed wonder, yes, but also a look of horror mixed with triumph: she had been certain I would know the meaning of this thing that was so weird that everyone else had to look it up in the dictionary.

Karen said...

Exactly what kind of teenager were you that your best friend's MOTHER would think you would know what fellatio was?

Frankly, with a reputation like that, I'm surprised she allowed you to hang out with your friend at all! :)