THIS BLOG HAS MOVED

Please join us at snowcoveredhills.com.

Get the posts on my new blog by e-mail. Enter your e-mail address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

New posts on snowcoveredhills.com:

Sunday, July 22, 2007

Charming witches is more than just wandwork

I really ought to stay away from the religious nutcases, but if I did, I'd have to shut Uriel down, and that would be no fun at all.

I can never get over the crazy people who pop up every time a new Harry Potter book comes out, and I closely follow the antics of parents who try to ban the books from local schools. They really don't seem to understand that the spells don't actually work and that they are the only ones who think it is real.

I knew that the series would end with voluntary self-sacrifice to save others. This is not just because I am a geek who studied previous books; it is also because I am a geek who read every JK Rowling interview I could get my hands on. She has often been asked how she feels about the crazies, but she usually gives a very pat answer about the books being fiction. But one day she said something different. The interviewer had asked if she was a Satanist or some such nonsense, and she responded that she was a Christian and that knowing that, anyone who had read the books should be able to figure out where the story was going.

I'm going to give my readers a little more time to finish the book before I talk about the details. Yes, I will be doing that: you have been warned.

4 comments:

Torq said...

I am on my way out to pick the book up today after work. I did have to wait the mandatory period before buying it so that no one thinks I am one of those Potter nuts. However, it would seem that I am rather excited to see how everything works out. Apparently my highly vocal distain for Mr. Potter and his wandering band of miscreants was nothing more than a smokescreen covering avid interest.

Anonymous said...

They really don't seem to understand that the spells don't actually work and that they are the only ones who think it is real.

This made me laugh, because it's so true. I never realized it before you pointed it out, though.

On a HP note, I enjoyed the book, but think it was a bit rushed for the ending to everything. At least, I'm hoping it's the end to things. I read somewhere that fans are trying to convince Rowling to keep on writing about Harry Potter. I like the books well enough, but there is such a thing as too much of a good thing, and things going to pot if carried on too long.

Torq said...

I HOPE that she doesn't continue writing about Harry! I don't mind that she took seven books to complete her series, The Lord of the Rings was six, but authors who write endless series of books about the same character drive me nuts.

*shudder* Robert Jordon for example...

Anonymous said...

Did he ever wrap up that series? I think I got to book three or four before giving up. I was even more choked when I saw that he had penned a prequel, but the original series still wasn't done.