THIS BLOG HAS MOVED

Please join us at snowcoveredhills.com.

Get the posts on my new blog by e-mail. Enter your e-mail address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

New posts on snowcoveredhills.com:

Wednesday, June 06, 2007

The other white milk

You probably won't believe this after seeing close-up pictures of Britney Spears' vagina, but apparently actress Maggie Gyllenhaal has created quite a stir by breastfeeding in public. No, I'm not putting a little CENSORED mark on this photo. Get a grip, you guys. What do you think breasts are for?

I can't believe it is 2007 and we are still having ridiculous discussions about whether it's OK for women to feed their babies in public. Apparently, some people think this warps the minds of children and is on the same level as men peeing in public. Nice.

I went through this six years ago. No, I won't go into the bathroom; however, you are free to eat your own lunch in there since you seem to think it's OK to suggest it to others. No, it's not a sexual thing; trust me when I say that if it were, I probably wouldn't be doing it. No, I won't cover his head with a blanket; if you and I are having a conversation you'll probably be looking at my mouth and eyes anyway. No, it's not about girl power; it's about feeding a baby.

I don't have a lot of patience for people who act like breastfeeding in public is just like shooting a Girls Gone Wild video. After Michael was born, I barely went out. This was partly because it was -40 with 24-hour darkness, but it was also because I'd never seen anyone breastfeeding in public before. After a few months, I realised that I was contributing to the problem. I wasn't doing it in public, either, so I really had no right to complain that I didn't see anyone else doing it. That was when I decided that I should be taking Michael wherever I went and feeding him when he was hungry.

This particular photo of Ms. Gyllenhaal is much more revealing than most public breastfeeding is, and I suspect that this is why it has created such a hullaballoo. Most women who are breastfeeding in public are showing much less than you would see at the local swimming pool. And the thing these morons never get is that if you don't feed a hungry baby, the baby starts to scream. People who hate breastfeeding usually can't stand screaming. Heck, the sound of a crying baby sets my own teeth on edge. Just once, I'd like to see a mother offer one of these crankies a choice between ignoring the sight of her breast and ignoring the sound of her screaming baby.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sing it, sister!