THIS BLOG HAS MOVED

Please join us at snowcoveredhills.com.

Get the posts on my new blog by e-mail. Enter your e-mail address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

New posts on snowcoveredhills.com:

Wednesday, September 03, 2008

Liveblogging the RNC

7:15 I actually like Romney.

7:25 Where do the Republicans get off suggesting that the media are McCain's enemies?

7:28 Romney just said that Obama on his first day would have less experience than Palin would after years if, God forbid, McCain died in office. Uh, duh. This was the guy I was just thinking I liked?

7:30 Changed my mind. Huckabee just said that the last few days have been tackier than backstage at a Madonna concert. I like Huckabee. He makes me laugh.

7:33 "Americans want less government." And the crowd goes wild.

7:36 "Sarah Palin got more votes running for mayor of Wasilla than Joe Biden got running for president of the United States." Hmmm. That doesn't sound right to me.

7:42 "Thank you. God bless you folks." I like the word "folks". I use it as much as possible.

7:52 A talking head just called Huckabee "quality sirloin". HAHAHAHAHA.

7:54 Found one piece of the math problem above: Sarah Palin was elected mayor of Wasilla, Alaska in 1999 with 909 votes. Back in a moment. The talking heads are saying that my man John McCain is trying to "fortify the base".

7:58 Not to call Huckabee a liar, but Biden got 2,328 votes in Iowa before he dropped out. That's more than 909 votes. Huck, that's not cool. If you think your candidate has experience, say so and give some real examples. You don't have to lie.

8:03 RU-DY! RU-DY!

8:06 Actually, any of these old white guys would have been qualified to be veep.

8:07 I agree with Rudy. John McCain has been tested again and again and has passed the test. He is a true American hero. He IS the most experienced candidate.

8:10 Rudy, you were a mayor, and so was Ms. Palin. Yes, that's true.

8:12 "Obama's never had to lead people in crisis...he has never led anything. Nothing. Nada." I was about to agree, and then Rudy had to keep talking. I am totally on board with the whole "he's never been a top elected official" thing. It's a legitimate criticism. Spending a significant amount of time as the leader of a very large state (or city, in Mr. Giuliani's case) could give a person the experience he or she needs to be president. Obama does NOT have that experience. I'm not sure it's fair to say he's never led ANYTHING, though.

8:16 Poor Bristol Palin looks so nonplussed. Someone take the camera off her.

8:23 I think Rudy just called Obama a flip-flopper.

8:25 Rudy's saying that Wasilla isn't flashy or cosmopolitan enough for Obama. Now that's a low blow. I don't think Obama's ever said anything that even hinted at that.

8:30 RU-DY! RU-DY!

8:32 Steve says she looks like a naughty schoolteacher. I, of course, am offended by this sexist observation.

8:36 I really wish this was one of the introductory speeches. I would have been thrilled to see Sarah Palin as an up-and-comer.

8:39 She really does have a cute little girl.

8:41 I like the shout-out to families with special needs. They really do need a friend and advocate in the White House.

8:44 The little girl is licking her hand and fixing her baby brother's hair. Very cute. Meanwhile, Ms. Palin is saying that being a small-town mayor is sort of like being a community organizer, only with responsibilities. Not so cute. She says John McCain is the same man, no matter where he goes. I do believe that.

8:47 Apparently the media consider people unqualified if they are not part of the Washington elite. Ms. Palin says it, so it must be true. News flash, Ms. Palin: You are unqualified, and it has nothing to do with your experience in Washington. Please come back next time. I mean it. I'd love to see how you grow. In four years, you might be ready.

8:51 Did she really put the jet on eBay? I like that.

8:52 DO NOT MENTION THE BRIDGE TO NOWHERE. YOU KEPT THAT MONEY FOR OTHER PROJECTS. ARE YOU PLANNING TO MENTION THAT?

8:58 I love it. She's going to talk about lack of experience. Oh...wait. She's talking about someone who actually has more experience than she does. Carry on.

8:59 I think the RNC is against rights for prisoners. They're standing up and cheering her quip about reading people their rights. I need to know more. Which rights are they against?

9:07 "He would bring the special confidence of those who have seen evil and seen how evil is overcome."

9:08 They're applauding for a vet who was a POW with McCain. He's saluting them.

9:10 "Thank you and Allahu Akbar!" HAHAHAHAHA. Just joking.

9:12 It's him!

9:13 "Doncha think we made the right choice for vice president of the United States?" Sorry. I don't. I like you, though.

9 comments:

Karen said...

"I actually like Romney"?

"I like Huckabee"?

I take back what I said yesterday. No voting for you! :)

Megan said...

I don't agree with them on many things. But I do find them pleasant. Most of the time.

How can you NOT laugh at Huckabee? He's hilarious! Did you see his campaign ads with Chuck Norris?

None of these things are the same as actually WANTING them to be president, mind you.

Glen said...

You should see the Huckabee supporter videos from Robin and Matt. Makes me want to vote for Huckabee.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVnolGbbGGE

The "don'cha" was an unfortunate choice by McCain. All I can hear now is "Don'cha wish your VP nominee was hot like mine".

Megan said...

The talking heads are saying that the speech was great and proves that she is a force to be reckoned with. She didn't write it -- the McCain team did -- and reading lines on a screen does not make you a leader.

Oh, and they're NOW saying that she withstood a week of controversy. No, she didn't. She hid. Nobody has seen her in days.

You guys are REPORTERS, not stenographers. Grrr.

Karen said...

Oh Glen. Now I'm going to hear that too. Drat.

As far as leadership goes, NONE of the four of them have any real leadership experience - Biden and McCain have long public service records, true, while Obama and Palin don't. But none of them have ever run anything complicated (3 years ending in 1988 running a small NGO in Chicago is not big-time leadership. Nor is two terms as Mayor of Hicksville and half a term as Governor of a State most Americans can't find on a map).

As much as it pains me to say it, at least Romney had run a business, the Olympics, and a State, each of them for longer periods than it takes to get through a head cold.

Not that I'd vote for him either. And to be fair, I'm no less thrilled about the Canadian options.

WHY doesn't ANYONE sensible want to be in politics anymore? WHERE is the next generation's leadership, real leadership, not governing by opinion poll?

Torq said...

The people who most want to attain a position of power are typically the last people who you want to actually be in power!

It sort of makes sense. What are the motivations for wanting to be president? What steps do you need to take to actually BECOME president? Between these two questions, nearly everyone ends up compromised in some way.

Anonymous said...

Palin doesn't believe in Miranda rights,(something Canada doesn't have) and doesn't possess a basic understanding of what my country was founded on, the Constitution of the United States. She wants to make my country a theocracy. Should I go on? She scares the hell out of me. Never have I been so mobilized to work on behalf of a candidate, who, altho he doesn't have much foreign policy experience, at least has a BRAIN. Unfortunately, that hasn't been a qualification the past 8 years for the highest job in the land.

Chad said...

Canada's eqivilent to the Miranda rights is as follows:

the Canadian Charter warning reads (varies by police service): "You are under arrest for _________ (charge), do you understand? You have the right to retain and instruct counsel without delay. We will provide you with a toll-free telephone lawyer referral service, if you do not have your own lawyer. Anything you say can be used in court as evidence. Do you understand? Would you like to speak to a lawyer?"

Karen said...

Chad's right.

Our right to silence comes from our Constitution, not a Supreme court case like Miranda (which can always be reversed in a subsequent case, should the Court decide to do so).