THIS BLOG HAS MOVED

Please join us at snowcoveredhills.com.

Get the posts on my new blog by e-mail. Enter your e-mail address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

New posts on snowcoveredhills.com:

Sunday, February 03, 2008

Today's post is not appropriate for children

It was a normal afternoon.

Michael and I were on the couch, talking about the worldly goods he would like me to buy him but which I do not think he needs.

"I want a DS."

"I'm not getting you a DS."

"But I really want one."

"I bought you a Wii. I'm not buying you a DS."

"You didn't buy me a Wii!"

This should have been my cue to shut up. But it wasn't.

"Yes, I did!"

He gasped, and his eyes widened in shock. By the time I realised what I'd done, it was too late.

"No, Santa Claus brought that! But you said YOU bought it -- SANTA CLAUS ISN'T REAL! SANTA CLAUS ISN'T REAL! SANTA CLAUS ISN'T REAL! OH MY GOSH!"

Yeah, this is all my fault.

"I CAN'T WAIT TO TELL ALL OF THE KIDS AT SCHOOL! I BET THEY DON'T KNOW THIS! SANTA CLAUS ISN'T REAL!"

There was no way to get out of it. We 'fessed up to the entire story.

"So does that mean that you bought all of the presents? And YOU put them under the tree? Oh my gosh, I bet I am the first child to ever figure this out!"

We solemnly told him that although Santa is not a man in a red suit, he is the feeling that people get when they do nice things for other people. We also made him promise NOT to tell any other kids, especially Janet, who is only five.

"So does that mean that elves aren't real?"

No, they aren't real, either.

"What about -- what about the workshop? This means that all of those movies aren't real!"

I was expecting him to be upset, but he is thrilled with himself.

Parents in Name of Town Withheld: Please forgive me. I couldn't lie.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm impressed that you were able to find a Wii during the Christmas holidays. You get bonus mommy points.

Anonymous said...

Megan you make me laugh so much ...I am one of your blog stalkers and decided to leave a comment this time...When my oldest son found this fact out he was brought into the game of being santa by helping out ...now my two older children do it for their little brother...I can bet its going to get a little bit boring when he finds the truth too...I had to use anonymous cause I dont use any of the other options...Christina in Inuvik

Karen said...

Way to go Megan.

Did you also tell the poor lad about the Easter bunny, or will you reveal that at the end of March?

think, think, think. The young ones are crafty - you can't let your guard down for an instant...:)

b*babbler said...

Heheheheheh.

Thank you for giving me my giggle for the day!

Perhaps while you're at it, you can let him in on where babies come from? Bet that would go down swell at school!

Cin said...

Welcome to the subset of Failed Mommies who don't do Santa. ;-)

And Karen, we told all our kids the truth. My three-year-old doesn't believe in Santa. Shrug.