THIS BLOG HAS MOVED

Please join us at snowcoveredhills.com.

Get the posts on my new blog by e-mail. Enter your e-mail address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

New posts on snowcoveredhills.com:

Saturday, November 04, 2006

33.3 RPM



This was my family 20 years ago, minus my grandmother (she's holding the camera). Man, how things have changed.

We didn't have a TV when I was growing up. My parents strongly believed that TV was bad for us. My brothers and I did, however, have fairly free access to my dad's old turntable and LP records. We had Sharon, Lois and Bram; Bruce Cockburn; and a delightful collection of Lamarckian creation legends narrated by Captain Kangaroo.

I think it's safe to say that we were huge Pete Seeger fans. If you live in the States, you can probably click here to hear our favourite song. If you live outside the States, you'll have to content yourself with this clip. We would listen to this over and over again. It probably drove my mom nuts.

If I could figure out how to pull it from iTunes into Blogger, I definitely would. (Since I left the national broadcaster I no longer have broadcast-quality recording equipment lying around the house.) This one is almost as good, though:

3 comments:

Torq said...

It is very interesting the things you remember and the things you forget. For instance, I can clearly remember the rock wall that used to run through the woods behind our house in Dexter and, now that I have heard that, I can remember Captain Kangaroo's voice, but I had totally forgotten that he even existed. I think that he would drive me crazy now though.

Anonymous said...

What wonderful memories, Megan. Look at us all standing there, so young and smiling those smiles at your sweet grandmother Betty. Matthew mentioned the woods. Do any of you remember getting lost in the woods with Justin and Jacob?
Sharon

Kevin Holsapple said...

Megan, you're a grown woman now, so it's time for me to confess the terrible truth:
I despise the music of Pete Seeger.

Your Penitent Father