THIS BLOG HAS MOVED

Please join us at snowcoveredhills.com.

Get the posts on my new blog by e-mail. Enter your e-mail address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

New posts on snowcoveredhills.com:

Monday, May 05, 2008

It's the great Northwest for me

Reader-submitted question: Hi Megan. My aunt and uncle are moving up north to teach! I'm not sure of the location. Do you have any advice for them?

Absolutely! Steve's a teacher, so he can provide more information about teaching than I can. Have them e-mail us: dryas at theedge dot ca.

I haven't been to every community in the NWT, but I've been to many of them, and I know something about each one. I'm no expert on Nunavut or Yukon, but some of my readers are. :)

The NWT is a great place to live, but it's not for everyone. I can confirm that people from the East Coast seem to thrive here. I think this is because we're used to nasty weather, odd neighbours and isolation. I also think that we're more likely to take a risk by moving here because there are fewer jobs at home. I came here because I was offered a permanent full-time job for the same Crown corporation that could only give me short-term contracts everywhere else. I had nothing to lose and everything to gain.

Your aunt and uncle can see photos of the NWT here.

0 comments: