THIS BLOG HAS MOVED

Please join us at snowcoveredhills.com.

Get the posts on my new blog by e-mail. Enter your e-mail address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

New posts on snowcoveredhills.com:

Friday, May 09, 2008

Follow those who pale in your shadow



Reader-submitted question: Hi Megan. This might sound weird. I LOVE your blog, but oftentimes I don't get it. I don't really understand why the music videos you include are there. This, I'm sure, is generational. Try this video. I would love to know what you think of this. I LOVE it -- I can hardly stand to watch it; I love it so much.

Wow, a reader who understands both semicolons and dashes! You really know how to get me to publish the things you send in, don't you?

I really like this. I've always liked this song, and this version is great. I am not really very familiar with Dusty Springfield, but this is really good.

You don't understand my blog? I'm surprised, because I often feel like an open book. Like I'm actually telling my readers TOO much. The music videos I include are often part of that. They do mean something. Well, not the birthday greetings, but those are clearly labeled. Sometimes those are references that the average person wouldn't catch. I'll admit that.

The others mean something. They're supposed to illustrate something about the post or about my life. And they're not just for the Stevie Nicks fans who like to hang out here.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your mother explained the strange energy in this video: the voice and persona are thermonuclear, and yet the movements are so rigid and circumscribed! It it wierdly affecting. You can see the 1960's emerging from the womb of the 1950's.
Dusty Springfield was a wonderful singer. I am happy to know that her music is still appreciated. She and Lulu provided the feminine edge to the British Invasion. God Rest Her Soul.
Dad

Karen said...

I don't know what it says about me that, watching this video, I had a sudden epiphany that the Bay City Rollers version is not the original - the Dusty Springfield video probably predates the BCR version by a good decade, and yet I still hear those boy-man voices in my head and Dusty seems all wrong. And there isn't enough plaid.

I guess that's what I get for growing up in the 70s. Here's the "non-original" BCR version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C50F-qRQKqw

Anonymous said...

What is the name of this song? What amazing guitar. Stevie and Lyndsey are so damn sexy together.

Megan said...

It's called "Say Goodbye", from the "Say You Will" album, and it's about feeling powerless while watching someone slip away from you, but coming to terms with the loss. This particular version is from one of Lindsey's solo shows. Stevie was there just for this song.

I've seen a lot of their live performances, so I'm used to the way they sing at each other. I think a lot of it is just for show, but this one strikes me as being different somehow. Maybe they've fooled me.

I tend to like guitars anyway, but I think he's got to be one of the most underrated guitarists ever. I'd post his stuff even if the Fleetwood Mac fetishists weren't around.

Anonymous said...

My teenaged daughter is a songleader at our temple and was completely blown away by this song and his sweet guitar. She's downloaded it onto her ipod. So thank you! I love Fleetwood Mac.