THIS BLOG HAS MOVED

Please join us at snowcoveredhills.com.

Get the posts on my new blog by e-mail. Enter your e-mail address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

New posts on snowcoveredhills.com:

Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Kneading help

Today's episode of Little Miss Know-it-All: Homophones.

I have been alerted to a grave error in one of my previous posts. Ironically, it is a homophonic (is that a word?) error in a post about homophones.

You see, I was writing about how people sometimes don't realize that words can be pronounced the same but have different spellings and meanings. I suspect that this is because we now have spell-checkers on computers. I illustrated this with a 131-word post in which 72 words were spelled incorrectly but would have passed any spell-checker. Sadly, this went over the heads of some readers.

You would not believe this, but in a post that was basically a teeming mass of incorrectly-spelled words, some astute readers were able to identify -- wait for it -- an incorrectly-spelled word. Yes! I have been informed that the word "brake" refers to a device that slows or stops a vehicle. Therefore, it was wrong for me to write "...brake it two ewe this weigh". The proper way to write this, of course, is "...break it two ewe this weigh".

Thanks for keeping me on my tows.

0 comments: