THIS BLOG HAS MOVED

Please join us at snowcoveredhills.com.

Get the posts on my new blog by e-mail. Enter your e-mail address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

New posts on snowcoveredhills.com:

Monday, May 14, 2007

Midnight, not a sound from the pavement



The video in the last post sent us on a trip down memory lane. I am honestly not sure if people in the States know who Rowan Atkinson is -- you may know him as Mr. Bean. I just checked, and he does not have a Conservapedia page, so I'm guessing that he is irrelevant to American society, being a Brit and all.

Throughout high school and university, my best friend was a first-generation Canadian whose family had moved to Bay Roberts from England. She ate Polos (they're like Life Savers, only better), drank tea and Ribena, and loved Rowan Atkinson. I watched a lot of his videos at her house.

Since I joined Facebook, people I haven't seen in ten years have been asking me about her. This is a reasonable thing to ask: we were best friends for six years and went to university together. The truth is that I have no idea how she's doing. Soon after we graduated, I moved to the Arctic and she moved to England. I haven't heard from her in years, and I haven't seen her since the year 2000.

But I can't resist this video:

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am definitely a minority American: I know who Rowan Atkinson is and I knew waaaay before that mediocre "Bean" movie was released. We get precious few samples of BBC comedy through PBS. It's often outdated by at least five years. I used to watch Mr. Bean episodes when I back in the mid-90s in junior high. Indeed I have seen that stand up show, which never fails to make me laugh.

As for Canadian programming: We get "The Red Green Show" late on Saturday night's. Unfortunately I am usually unconscious by then.