THIS BLOG HAS MOVED

Please join us at snowcoveredhills.com.

Get the posts on my new blog by e-mail. Enter your e-mail address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

New posts on snowcoveredhills.com:

Monday, September 10, 2007

Oh...dear...



I'm really not sure what to say. I really, really wanted to come to Britney's defense after reading the Globe's harsh review. This is going to be difficult, but I'll try. I didn't watch the VMAs, but after reading this, I had to look up the clip when I got home from work.

Ms. Spears is not "out of shape". She's not as toned as she was five years ago, but she's had two kids since then. Most people would love to have her figure. This was a cheap shot and the reviewer would never have said it about a male performer.

But Britney...sweetie...where are your clothes? It's really good to see that you're wearing underwear again. This is an important step. But you're supposed to wear it under clothes. It looks like you wandered out of your dressing room and forgot to put your costume on. In fact, I think I own that bra. I usually wear it under a shirt, but that's just me.

Your backup dancers are looking great, and I'm sure that if you practise a bit, you'll be good too. It would probably be best if you practise in private before you do shows on live TV, though. Just a thought.

I think you need to put more work into lip-synching. For example, it should look like you're singing the same song that the sound engineer is playing on the speakers. Usually, people know the words to their own songs, but I understand that this one was unusually difficult. I had trouble with "gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme" myself, so it's not my place to judge.

Brit, my dear, I know you SAY you want a comeback, but you don't look very happy to be on stage. You look miserable. I used to think you were -- well, not good, but at least interesting to watch. This is just painful. I want to pat you on the head and send you to bed with a cup of hot chocolate. Seriously, the Hoffettes are better than this.

4 comments:

Alison said...

You can actually see her counting out the dance steps in her head... Oh and one other thing... Brit, honey, leave the Shakira-like gyrations to, well... Shakira... You aren't Columbian.

Anonymous said...

She looks drugged up. She used to be able to dance!

As for her body -- she looks great for having had two children in such a short time span.

Karen said...

I'm sorry, but when your "talent" consists of shaking your moneymaker in skimpy clothing, you need to look good in said skimp. If a male of equivalent talent, say, Fabio, turned up with a beer gut hanging over his too small pants, I would hope commentators would say the same about him.

Megan said...

I've heard this argument, and although I feel like I have to disagree on principle, I can at least respect it. The people who say this have at least thought about the question. I have a bit of a knee-jerk reaction to people who call any normal-looking woman (or thin celebrity) fat.

Britney did choose to wear a costume that put the focus on her body. By doing this, she put her physical condition "out there", as reporters say. I am still not sure that she did not wander onstage without putting on her costume: this looks remarkably like underwear to me, and she has this glazed, out-of-it look.

Either way, I have to feel sorry for her, and I don't think she deserves the "fat" label. I do think your main point is right, though: she shouldn't be wearing these skimpy clothes.