THIS BLOG HAS MOVED

Please join us at snowcoveredhills.com.

Get the posts on my new blog by e-mail. Enter your e-mail address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

New posts on snowcoveredhills.com:

Monday, December 01, 2008

Stacey's visit








Stacey left this morning, and we already miss her.

I am the last of my crop of CBC girls: the young women who came to the Arctic in 1999 and 2000 to work for the MotherCorp after graduating from King's or Carleton. If Stacey hadn't been working there, I probably wouldn't have applied for the job at CBC North. We've been friends forever: we met in 1995, in our first year of journalism school. After we graduated, she moved to Inuvik, and our friend Jaime moved to Rankin Inlet. I worked my way around the east coast for a while, taking short-term contract after short-term contract. Eventually, I found permanent work at the station in Inuvik. I started on the same day Cindy did: she'd been working for the paper here in town, but wanted to try radio. A few others started within the next couple of months, including Sally.

There's always a new crop of CBC girls.

Everyone else has now left the north. Stacey, Jaime, Cindy and Sally all moved away. Josee moved away, and Vanessa moved away, and the other Megan moved away, and even Mack the Hack moved away (although he's not a CBC girl: he's more of a NOPW queen).

I'm the only one left.

I miss my girlfriends.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Meg --
Thanks for posting this.
I'm grateful that I made many lasting and meaningful relationships with some very amazing women I met in the NWT.
The distance between us will never change our friendship and you will always be welcome in my home (where there is no snow!).
Hugs,
Stacey

Anonymous said...

I miss you too, Meg.

Remember, Victoria is the new Yellowknife. Four of us live here or have lived here recently. Come on down!

Hackistan said...

Me-OW!

Hackistan said...

Just kidding, but I can't help but think it was something Jay came up with;)

K said...

look at all that snow! yikes!

thanks for your comment megan - if you can keep me posted and let me know if the font is a better size now that'd be great. for some reason on my computer it shows up small, but readable - probably a font size 10 or 11 - but i realize on other computers its showing up as TEENY! i definitely do NOT want that! thanks :)

Gifted Typist said...

Nice tribute to da goils

Jenn Martinson said...

I don't get snow-lovers. That mess just looks cold. I'll take an 80 degree December anyday!

Megan said...

80 degrees?

You mean 80 degrees north, right? You must be talking about the latitude of the earth.

Anonymous said...

Hmmm, I think it's time you moved south, like Calgary, or, gulp, Toronto, which is quite north enough for me. For what it's worth, there is half a ft. of snow here in Michigan. Victoria sounds like heaven.

Anonymous said...

Why did you stay?