Please join us at

Get the posts on my new blog by e-mail. Enter your e-mail address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

New posts on

Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Harrumph, harrumph!

I am about to get on a plane, and I am not particularly happy about it.

I have to go to Edmonton for an uncomfortable medical test called a "sleep-deprived EEG", so I haven't slept since I got up for work yesterday morning. If I am even less coherent than usual, that's why. The test measures the electrical activity in my brain.

Don't worry about me: I am totally fine except that I have epilepsy, a brain disorder that can be controlled with medication. It's not a secret, but I don't blog about it because it's not relevant.

The test is not painful, but it's very uncomfortable. I have to be tired to the point of exhaustion for the test, and it leaves me with electrode gel all through my hair. For extra fun, the technician will flash a strobe light in my eyes and ask me to hyperventilate. The idea is to push the brain beyond its comfort zone: a normal brain (yes, ha ha) will be able to deal with it, but an epileptic brain won't.

I used to have it done here in town, but now I have to go to Edmonton. Because I cannot possibly finish the test and get on a plane six hours later, I am staying overnight and coming back tomorrow evening. I need to shower and sleep when this stupid test is over.

The timing sucks, and the logistics suck, and the test sucks.

The point -- and I do have one -- is that I will probably be a bit slower to respond to your e-mails for the next couple of days. If you need to reach me, call my cell.


Zach Bell said...

What kind o side effects does your medication have Megan?

Torq said...

Sorry to hear things are not going so great. I hope you feel better and are able to get some rest soon.

Matthew and Michele said...

My sympathies go with you. I had to undergo the same test a couple of years ago after a car accident that I couldn’t remember anything that had happened.

It was a very unpleasant experience. It didn’t help that I couldn’t get to sleep until that evening making it just over 36 hours with no sleep and that darn gook in my hair.

Good luck and hope all is well.

Anonymous said...

That test sounds really, really crappy. Hopefully some good comes from your trip!


Seriously Frivolous said...

I am sending you happy and rested brainwaves today.

Anonymous said...

That sucks, but we'll be here waiting for you when you get back!

Megan said...

Thanks, everyone!

The test was fine, or at least as fine as it could be. Here's proof that it was better than last time: When it was over, I wiped the tears from my face and managed to walk out of the hospital without assistance.

My sleep schedule is now completely messed up. If I misuse a semicolon, please forgive me.